4 Top Sirloin Steaks
2 Cloves Garlic
1 Pound Yukon Gold Potatoes
1 Bunch Kale
3 Tablespoons Butter
1/3 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
Makes 4 Servings
About 560 Calories Per Serving
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25-35 minutes
- Prepare the ingredients: Preheat the oven to 475°F. Wash and dry the fresh produce. Medium dice the potatoes. Remove and discard the kale stems; roughly chop the leaves. Peel and mince the garlic. Quarter and deseed the lemon.
- Roast the potatoes: Place the potatoes on a sheet pan. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper, toss to thoroughly coat. Arrange in a single, even layer. Roast, stirring halfway through, 24-26 minutes, or until lightly browned and tender when pierced with a fork. Remove from the oven and transfer to a serving dish. Set aside in a warm place.
- Cook and drain the kale: While the potatoes roast, in a large pan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil on medium-high until hot. Add the kale (working in batches if necessary) and ½ cup of water; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently 2 to 4 minutes, or until the kale has wilted and the liquid has cooked off. Transfer to a strainer; hold or rest the strainer over a bowl. Using a spoon, press down on the cooked kale to release as much liquid as possible; discard the liquid. Transfer the drained kale to a cutting board and finely chop. Wipe out the pan.
- Cook the steaks: While the potatoes continue to roast, pat the steaks dry with paper towels; season with salt and pepper on both sides. In the pan used to cook the kale, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil on medium-high until hot. Add the seasoned steaks and cook 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium-rare, or until browned and cooked to your desired degree and doneness. Transfer to a cutting board, leaving any browned bits (or fond) in the pan, and let rest for at least 5 minutes.
- Finish the kale: While the steaks rest, heat the pan of reserved fond on medium until hot. (If the pan seems dry, add 1 teaspoon of olive oil.) Add the garlic and cook, stirring frequently, 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until fragrant. Add the chopped kale, butter and ¼ cup of water; season with salt and pepper. Cook stirring frequently, 3 to 4 minutes, or until thoroughly combined and heated through. Remove from heat and stir in the cheese; season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to a serving dish and set aside in a warm place.
- Slice the steaks and serve your dish: Find the lines of muscle (or grain) of the rested steaks; thinly slice crosswise against the grain. Transfer the sliced steaks to a serving dish. Stir any juices from the cutting board into the serving dish of finished kale. Serve with the roasted potatoes and lemon wedges on the side. Enjoy!